12.12.2010

G


Gastr del Sol
Camoufleur
1998

Gastr del Sol's prior album, "Upgrade and Afterlife", holds a quaint spot in my memories. I was so enamored by that record, its sweet cover of a man, turned to water, exploding out of a pair of rainboots. I brought the album to my friend Phill's house and popped it on the turntable so he could record its awesomeness. He was showing me some tricks on his skateboard, all the while skipping the record player and fucking up the dub, but it sounded like perfection. I wish I still had that tape. Forward to the next one, "Camoufleur", and the brothers Chicago enlisted M. Popp of "scratched CD is music" fame (Oval) to mold "beats". It adds to an atmosphere of shimmering songs that go all over the map, horns, guitars, nonsense lyrics, fireworks with French teens. It all sounds like you should listen to this.


No comments: