12.01.2010

L


Sun Ra
Lanquidity

1978


I'm a backdoor man. Genres reveal themselves as completely bastardized before I usually settle down with a relatively stable family of like minded albums. Jazz is the proof to that hypothesis. I hit on jazz's slutty sister, Free (or Fire jazz as the Wire is wont to call it), meeting her thru Peter Brotzmann's stroke inducing disc "Machine Gun". On to the next one, Ayler's "Love Cry" turned me onto the soulful twin of America's one true music. After all that seriousness, I was pushed towards a more funky variant, introduced by Saturn's favorite son, Sun Ra. Sure, I owned a few glorified Ra classics (ex: Heliocentric World..., in the realm of free, that album blows); yet it was this album that turned the tide, allowing me to nestle close to a jauntier version of jazz. "Lanquidity" is one of those LPs that I also copped on CD, cuz the whip needs bangers like these.

Arkestral stars:
That's How I Feel, Where Pathways Meet



No comments: