12.11.2010

W


Sonic Youth
Washing Machine
1995

1994: The Year I Broke. I was in an ER reading an EW "Year in Review" issue, and they named Sonic Youth's "Dirty" the album of the year. I remember terms like "noisy", "bratty", "NYC" bandied about the writeup. I got a distinct negativity from the positive critique and became instantly interested so, "Dirty" was quickly scooped up on cassette at the now defunct Media Play behemoth. I first popped the tape in my Walkman at the local laundromat and the blast of feedback that initiates lead off track "100%" startled me. Was my batteries running low? Were the washing machines exploding? Needless to say, I was picked up everything the record store had to offer from my first favorite band.
"Washing Machine" was the first SY album I purchased as a new release. I devoured the album. I paid ducats to see them open up for Beck. I purchased the iconic "Washing Machine" t-shirt. I still have the tee, having been cleaned in its namesake so many time that the shirt is falling apart. I think its better than "Daydream Nation".

Here's some quarters:
Junkie's Promise, Washing Machine, Diamond Sea

No comments: